- The Tenderloin is a neighborhood in downtown San Francisco, California, in the flatlands on the southern slope of Nob Hill, situated between the Union Square shopping district to the northeast and the Civic Center office district to the southwest.
The Tenderloin is a neighborhood in downtown San Francisco, in the flatlands on the southern slope of Nob Hill, situated between the Union Square shopping district to the northeast and the Civic Center office district to the southwest. It encompasses about 50 square blocks, and is a large wedge/triangle in shape (point faces East).Area:
0.35 sq mi (0.9 km²)Country:
94102, 94103, 94109
Where exactly is the Tenderloin in San Francisco?
The Tenderloin is a neighborhood in downtown San Francisco, in the flatlands on the southern slope of Nob Hill, situated between the Union Square shopping district to the northeast and the Civic Center office district to the southwest. It encompasses about 50 square blocks, and is a large wedge/triangle in shape.
Is the Tenderloin in San Francisco dangerous?
The Tenderloin is a high-crime neighborhood, particularly violent street crime such as robbery and aggravated assault. Seven of the top 10 violent crime plots (out of 665 in the entire city as measured by the San Francisco Police Department) are adjacent plots in the Tenderloin and Sixth and Market area.
Why do they call it the Tenderloin in San Francisco?
The consensus seems to be that the name was first coined by police Captain Alexander S. Williams around 1931 when corruption was rife in the area. At the time, it was said that officers who accepted bribes could then afford more expensive cuts of beef for their dinner tables.
Is Tenderloin a good area in San Francisco?
The Tenderloin—long a neighborhood known for its street drug trade—borders some of San Francisco’s most prominent shopping and tourist districts, and is home to a number of famous music and theater venues as well as restaurants. Overall, most San Francisco neighborhoods are not dangerous.
What are the worst areas in San Francisco?
The 10 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods in San Francisco
- Mission Neighborhood. The crime rate in Mission is high enough to warrant concern.
- The Tenderloin Neighborhood.
- Chinatown Neighborhood.
- South of Market Neighborhood.
- Ocean View.
- Bayview Neighborhood.
- Excelsior Neighborhood.
- Downtown Neighborhood.
Why is tenderloin so expensive?
The filet mignon comes from a part of the cow called the tenderloin that is high up and doesn’t get much exercise. The muscle it is cut from is not a weight-bearing muscle, and contains only a small amount of connective tissues, which is why this steak is so tender.
What should I avoid in San Francisco?
10 Things Everyone In San Francisco Should Avoid At All Costs
- Driving downtown San Francisco during games for the Giants. Steve Rhodes/Flickr.
- FIsherman’s Wharf. R L/Yelp.
- Sinkholes. Peretzp/Flickr.
- Bay Bridge Traffic. David Yu/Flickr.
- Outdoor parades and events while in a rush. David Yu/Flickr.
- Dog poo on the sidewalk.
- Confusing cable cars with streetcars.
- Construction sites.
Is Tenderloin a bad neighborhood?
San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood is located downtown, bordered by some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city. Yet, it has a bad reputation. Tourists are told to avoid the area. You can often see drug dealing out in the open, and garbage on the streets.
What is the safest area in San Francisco?
Pacific Heights (from USD 399)
And of course, Pacific Heights is among the safest areas in San Francisco. Also, from here you can marvel at the views of Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco Bay.
How do I not look like a tourist in San Francisco?
How Not to Look Like a Tourist in San Francisco
- Always layer.
- If you must buy a sweatshirt, get anything related to the 49ers.
- And save those Google or Facebook T-shirts.
- Still, think casual
- Leave your umbrellas at home.
- Don’t, under any circumstances, call the city San Fran.
- Do stroll around Chinatown, but don’t make it a dining destination.
Is San Francisco the dirtiest city?
The Bay Area is the epicenter of technology and yet, San Francisco, its pride and joy, is one of the dirtiest cities I’ve ever seen, and no one seems to care. The 2019 count for homeless people in San Francisco was 8,011, a 17% increase from 2017.
Why is there so much poop in San Francisco?
Perhaps the most significant reason behind the spike in street feces cleanup requests is the city’s growth: San Francisco’s population has increased by an average of more than 10,000 people per year since 2011, as the city’s economy boomed.
What is the nicest neighborhood in San Francisco?
Best Neighborhood to Stay in San Francisco
- Nob Hill. Nob Hill is one of the most upscale neighborhoods in San Francisco.
- North Beach. If you’re looking for a more casual neighborhood, North Beach is a strong option.
- The Mission.
Why is tenderloin so tender?
It comes from the short loin, or the psoas major of the beef carcass. Because the muscle is not weight-bearing, it contains less connective tissue, which makes it tender. Although it is generally not as flavorful as some other cuts of beef, it is greatly desired for being the most tender cut of beef.
Why is San Francisco Bay so dangerous?
The big danger is the rip currents that form just off the beaches in San Francisco, especially at Ocean Beach. Almost every year, people drown at Ocean Beach, and most of those deaths could have been prevented.