Tips on writing a Rogerian essay
- Know the opposing argument.
- Find the common ground.
- Embrace your position.
- State the arguments for your position.
- Outline the opposing arguments.
- Restate the common grounds.
- Conclude your essay with a brief and concise summary stating your position as well as the common grounds.
What is the Rogerian format?
The Rogerian argument (or Rogerian rhetoric) is a form of argumentative reasoning that aims to establish a middle ground between parties with opposing viewpoints or goals.
What are 4 elements of the Rogerian argument?
Maxine Hairston, in a section on “Rogerian or nonthreatening argument” in her textbook A Contemporary Rhetoric, advised that one “shouldn’t start writing with a detailed plan in mind” but might start by making four lists: the other’s concerns, one’s own key points, anticipated problems, and points of agreement or
How many paragraphs is a Rogerian argument?
As opposed to the traditional 5-paragraph essay, which has three main points as the body paragraphs, the Rogerian essay focuses on trying to work out the main arguments of each side. The first body paragraph should focus on one side of the argument, and the second paragraph should focus on the other side.
What is a key element of Rogerian style arguments?
Rogerian argument is a negotiating strategy in which common goals are identified and opposing views are described as objectively as possible in an effort to establish common ground and reach an agreement.
What is a good Rogerian essay topic?
Top Rogerian Essay Topics
- Products shouldn’t be tested on animals.
- It is allowable to test products on animals.
- Smoking in public has to be banned.
- Why smoking in public has to be permitted.
- Teenage pregnancy can be prevented by using condoms.
- Hoe teenage pregnancy cannot be prevented by using condoms.
What is a Rogerian outline?
Rogerian Argument Outline Lay down the common beliefs, ideas and arguments between you and your listeners (if you are speaking) or readers (if you are writing a position paper).
How do you start a Rogerian argument essay?
- In your essay, first, introduce the problem.
- Acknowledge the other side before you present your side of the issue.
- Next, you should carefully present your side of the issue in a way that does not dismiss the other side.
- You should then work to bring the two sides together.
What are the steps of a Rogerian argument?
Follow these steps:
- I. Introduction. Discuss the issue, what’s at stake and any context required for your readers to understand the argument.
- II. Explain the Opposing View.
- III. Describe Your Views.
- IV. Find Common Ground.
- V. Offer a Compromise.
How do you write a thesis statement for a Rogerian essay?
The Rogerian structure includes the following parts: An introduction that gives a fair assessment of the opposition; a section detailing the viewpoints of the opposition and stating where you see merit in their views; the thesis statement that shows how you have taken the opposition into account but have still
What is the difference between classical and Rogerian argument?
Traditional Argument: Writer states the claim and gives reasons to prove it. Writer refutes the opponent by showing what is wrong or invalid. Rogerian Argument: The writer states opponent’s claim to demonstrate understanding and shows how its valid.