What is there to do in Memphis?
Top Attractions in Memphis
- Sun Studio. 11,368 reviews. See 6 Experiences.
- Graceland. 19,102 reviews.
- National Civil Rights Museum – Lorraine Motel. 8,732 reviews.
- Stax Museum of American Soul Music. 2,032 reviews.
- Memphis Zoo. 3,531 reviews.
- The Peabody Ducks. 6,208 reviews.
- Shelby Farms Park. 545 reviews.
- Beale Street. 8,550 reviews.
What should you not miss in Memphis?
Best Things To Do in Memphis
- #1. National Civil Rights Museum – Lorraine Motel. National Civil Rights Museum – Lorraine Motel.
- #2. Stax Museum of American Soul Music. Stax Museum of American Soul Music.
- #3. Sun Studio. Sun Studio.
- #4. Peabody Ducks. Peabody Ducks.
- #5. Graceland. Graceland.
- #6. Beale Street.
- #7. Belz Museum of Asian & Judaic Art.
- #8. Memphis Zoo.
Is Memphis worth visiting?
Memphis is absolutely worth a visit if you love (or are willing to try) eating wonderful barbecue, listening to great blues music, and visiting Elvis’ famous home-Graceland. Memphis is a wonderful southern town, well deserving of a several day stop-over.
What is Memphis best known for?
The name Memphis means Established and Beautiful. Known worldwide as the “Home of the Blues & Birthplace of Rock ‘n’ Roll – not to mention gospel, jazz, R&B, rap and soul. Close to 20 percent of the earliest inductees (24 of the 97) in the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame have come from within a 100-mile radius of Memphis.
Is it safe to walk in downtown Memphis at night?
Memphis is generally a safe city for tourists. You’ll notice a lot of police presence downtown (especially around Beale Street) in both the day and night, but travelers should still exercise caution in tourist areas, which are known to have a high concentration of panhandlers.
Is Beale Street Safe?
“It’s as safe to go to Beale Street as it is anywhere else,” Harvey said. In fact, some could say it’s even safer than other parts of the city. “Seventy to 100 officers for 5000 people on Beale Street alone.
How many days do you need in Memphis?
That could take around 2 hours of your time. I think to really take in what Memphis has to offer, you need at least 2 full days in Memphis, because you‘ll want to eat some of the great food too, especially the BBQ!
What does 10 feet off Beale mean?
Cohn has explained that this song is a journey to be baptized in the world of blues music. He said it is about “Spiritual Awakening.” The lyrics, “Walking with my feet ten feet off of Beale” refers to Beale Street, an actual street in Memphis.
How far is Memphis from Gatlinburg?
There are 370.11 miles from Memphis to Gatlinburg in east direction and 428 miles (688.80 kilometers) by car, following the I-40 route. Memphis and Gatlinburg are 6 hours 41 mins far apart, if you drive non-stop. This is the fastest route from Memphis, TN to Gatlinburg, TN. The halfway point is Nashville, TN.
Which is better to visit Nashville or Memphis?
I would definitely go with Nashville for a visit as the music scene and food is better though Memphis has it’s good points too. Nashville is also a safer city though you do need to stay out of certain areas. The live music in Downtown Nashville pretty much blows away most cities in the U.S.
Is Memphis a dying city?
Memphis, Tennessee (-0.3 percent)
Memphis is the other Southern city that’s losing population. The metropolitan area declined 0.3 percent to 1.3 million residents.
What food is Memphis famous for?
7 Things You Can Only Get in Memphis
- Homeroom Chicken and Grids from Lunchbox Eats.
- Barbecue Nachos from Central BBQ.
- Maple Bacon Donut from Gibson’s Donuts.
- McCarter’s Coffee.
- Stoner Pie from the Cove.
- Sonny Salt.
- Soul Burger from Earnestine and Hazel’s.
Is Memphis known for BBQ?
Memphis is probably best known for its dry barbecue. Most frequently used on ribs, the dry style is highly flavorful and is less messy to eat than wet.
How far is Memphis from Nashville?
The total driving distance from Memphis, TN to Nashville, TN is 212 miles or 341 kilometers.
How much does it cost to see Graceland?
* Tickets are also available for purchase at the Graceland Ticket Office upon arrival. Please be sure to read our full Graceland COVID-19 Protocols prior to your visit.
|Adult 11 and up||$47.00|
|Children 4 and Under**||FREE|